Why not always DEBUG=MSDEBUG?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Mon Dec 11 10:56:54 EST 2006

Folks,

Can anyone think of a reason we wouldn't always enable use of debugging output
in mapserver?  It is a great frustration to me that many people with binary
MapServer builds do not have MSDEBUG support enabled.  I'd like permission
to make this non-optional.

I'm suggesting the --enable-debug / --disable-debug switches on the unix
configure would just control -g.

Basically I would get rid of the ENABLE_STDERR_DEBUG macro entirely, and this
case would always be available.

Note that debug output would still only be produced if the DEBUG ON keyword
appears in map or layer objects.  I am not suggesting that debugging always
be produced, only that all mapserver software builds would be "debug output
ready".

(I'd like the above to be considered a motion.  If I get some other support
and no dissent I'll go ahead and make the change in 4.5.0 next week).