MS RFC 10: Joining the Open Source Geospatial Foundation

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at DMSOLUTIONS.CA
Mon Feb 6 13:18:18 EST 2006

Howard Butler wrote:

> Please add this stuff to the RFC.  It was kind of alluded to, but not
> clearly spelled out.

I just updated the RFC:

1- Added the following paragraph to section "MapServer's Participation
in the Foundation":

"In this RFC we are proposing that MapServer join the foundation as one
of the founding projects as this is a unique opportunity for MapServer
to influence the direction that the foundation will take, and in the end
get a foundation that will better suit its specific needs."

2- Added the following sentence under "Considerations":

"MapServer may have to consider moving its project infrastructure (CVS,
website, lists, etc.) to the foundation at some point."

BTW, I'd like to add, in case that was not clear in my first reply, that
I am also for option #1 (join now) and I fully agree with the comments
made by Howard, Frank and Steve that waiting would just hurt us.

  Daniel Morissette               dmorissette at dmsolutions.ca