OSGeo Project Incubation

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Mon Feb 27 15:01:08 EST 2006

Folks,

It was decided a week ago that all projects joining the foundation, including
the initial seven should go through an incubation process.   Some brief info
is available at:

   http://incubator.osgeo.org/

The first two issues that MapServer needs to address is assigning a
project representative to join the incubation committee, and reviewing
the draft contributor agreements.

Sean and I are already members of the incubator committee so either of us
could represent MapServer, but I would likely prefer Steve if he was
interested.  Any opinions on who ought to be representing MapServer?

The contributor agreement is something that ever committer, and potentially
their employer would need to sign before incubation is complete.  Anyone who
can't or won't sign will need to be removed from committer access.  In the
future we will need to revise our commit-granting process to include
this requirement.  A draft committer agreement based on what Apache uses has
been written up at:

   http://www.fossgis.de/osgeo/index.php/Contributor_Agreement

I am soliciting feedback from the MapServer developer community how they
feel about this.  Rich Steele, the foundation counsel can answer questions
about it if needed.  Likely the discuss at mail.osgeo.org mailing list would
be the best to pursue issues - or via the incubator committee.