RFC 16: MapScript WxS Services

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Thu May 18 22:31:18 EDT 2006

Frank Warmerdam wrote:

> Folks,
>
> It turns out I'm very keen to get "committing" on RFC 16, so I would
> like to promote my request for comments to a request for votes to proceed.
> Given no vetos by the end of Tuesday afternoon I could get committing
> Tuesday night.

Folks,

On a review of the RFC 16 email in my folder, I don't see any +1's.  So
even taken my own as implicit it appears the RFC has failed to pass.

Should I take this as a lack of support for the proposal?  Before the
formal call for votes it seemed to have general support.

I have tried to address Tamas's concerns about multi-threading and
the msIO code, basically by claiming that I'm just using the existing
mechanism and not making things any worse for multi-threading.  I tried
to respond to some of SteveW's suggestion regarding msIO filters by
basically claiming this would be hard to expose properly in mapscript.

If our chairman has no problem with it, I will leave the vote on RFC 16
open till the end of day tomorrow for votes.

I'll state my vote now as +1 for my own proposal as it stands.

PS. I will hold off on re-issuing RFC 17 (dynamic arrays) till after I
get the RFC 16 work done.  I don't want to confuse things too much.