Dynamic libmap.so

Fri May 19 14:54:51 EDT 2006

Frank Warmerdam wrote:

> I will say the "shared" target was added as a low-disruption way of my
> supporting my desire for FWTools on linux to use a libmap.so without
> screwing
> up the normal builds.  I wouldn't mind moving to always using libmap.so
> myself, but it would mean that installing "mapserv" wouldn't be quite as
> trivial in some cases.

I agree that static linking makes it easier to deploy binaries, that's
the main reason why I never really bothered with libmap.so. Since we
typically use only one flavour of MapServer on a given system, either
mapserv CGI and/or one of the MapScripts, and very rarely deploy
multiple programs using libmap.so the benefit of a shared lib is reduced.

I'm not saying there are no benefits, just that there were not enough
for us to care much in the past. If we had a stable C API then we'd
definitely want to do a better job with a shared lib.

> PS. libmap.so isn't really a very unique name.  We might contemplate
> something
> a bit less likely to conflict with other packages.

Agreed. libmapserver.so?

Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/