RFC-18: Encryption of passwords in mapfiles

Umberto Nicoletti umberto.nicoletti at GMAIL.COM
Tue May 30 02:52:24 EDT 2006

I am +0 on this issue: it does not make storing passwords in map files
any safer as encription is reversible,  and could actually trick users
to store valuable passwords (DBA, privileged users with delete or
update provileges in the case of the dbs) in the map file because of
the false perception of security.
A prominent note should be added to the documentation along with the
suggestion (if it's not there already, I haven't checked) not to use
privileged user/password in map file ANYWAY.

As of mapscript I think it could be useful to expose the functionality
through it: for example think of someone who wanted to create a map
file on the fly and encrypt the connection string.

Umberto