Bug 1957, a solution... (sort of)

Howard Butler hobu at IASTATE.EDU
Mon Nov 13 09:25:35 EST 2006

The situation we have now is untenable as well.  We now have *two*
critical patches that must be applied to your libgd before you can
fully take advantage of MapServer in all its glory.  With libgd not
releasing in almost two+ years, you can also see that distros have
been steadily increasing their patch level of this library as well.

A possible thing we might try is to entice Boutell into releasing
libgd with some funding opportunities.  We definitely need to give
him fair warning that we're considering a fork because of inattentive
maintenance.  I'm doubtful this would have much effect though.  If we
have to suck it up and fork, we will probably be in the position
Frank was with libtiff for a while... not being seen as the
"mainline" library.  If your system libgd isn't current enough, and
using a fork of libgd is required to use MapServer, there isn't much
difference in my mind whether or not the bug fixes are a completely
new lib or a patchset.

Possible solutions that don't require a fork all have significant
downsides:
- Placing the offending functions inside of MapServer would cause
problems for PHP and other MapScripts that might already be linking
in libgd to do other graphics things
- Placing an entire libgd disto inside of MapServer would definitely
cause problems for PHP because PHP ships bindings for libgd.   Mixing
these two could be as bad or worse than the PHP regex mess.
- Distributing a patch set places the burden on users to either build
a separate libgd or patch their system one.  Building MapServer can
be scary enough.

Anyone know of other projects besides MapGuide that are using libgd
to the extent we are?  Maybe we can find some strength in numbers....

Howard