Filter Shapefile

Andreas Albarello andreas.albarello at TERRITORIUMONLINE.COM
Fri Apr 20 06:08:08 EDT 2007

Hallgren Johan E wrote:
> Hello
>
> I was trying to use LAYER/FILTER to show a subset of a shapefile.
>
>   LAYER
>     NAME TATYT
>     TYPE POLYGON
>     STATUS ON
>     DATA vv/TATYT
>     TEMPLATE "c:\temp\template.txt"
>     MAXSCALE 1000000
>     FILTER "BEF > 1000000"
>     CLASS
>       NAME TatYt
>       STYLE
>         OUTLINECOLOR 0 0 0
>         COLOR 210 210 210
>       END
>     END
>   END
>
> But nothing happened. All features are shown and when retrieving
> features, all features are retrieved.
>
> Did I misunderstand the purpose of FILTER?

Johan,

the following document explains how filters and expressions work with
shape files:
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/docs/howto/msexpressions/?searchterm=FILTER

I'd suggest you give especially the paragraph at the very end of the
document about how attributes are referenced inside expressions a good read.

In fact, your filter should look like this in order to work properly:

FILTER ([BEF] > 1000000)

Andreas Albarello
Analysis & SW Development

Territorium Online srl/GmbH
Via Buozzi/Buozzistraße 12 - I 39100 Bolzano/Bozen
email: andreas.albarello at territoriumonline.com
web:   www.territoriumonline.com