Use of static var in MapScript mapObj.nextLabel

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Sun Jul 1 11:28:47 EDT 2007

Tamas Szekeres wrote:

>> As the "Ghost of Backward Compatability" I'd rather not get rid of
>> getNextLabel() if it is in significant use without a very serious reason.
>> We might however make an effort to deprecate it in favor of
>> getLabel(int i).
>>

> Frank,
>
> The next major release is the best option to get rid of the unwanted
> parts of the interface.
> Moreover the current nextLabel is quite unconventional and does not
> allow the client to reset the iteration. I have no idea what is the
> desired use this function then. When we build up a loop until the
> returned value is null we might not get all of the results back. It's
> definitely unfeasible. Though we are thinking of that support of
> resetting the iteration, I guess it goes against the idea of the
> deprecation.

Tamas,

Well, I respectfully disagree.  If the interface works, and is in
reasonably widespread use, and we have no compelling reason for
removing it then I don't think we should remove it.

Changing stuff like this is going to be a poke in the eye for folks
trying to maintain higher level applications, especially if they would
like them to work with 4.10 and 5.0.

Deprecating normally involves advising that a particular interface is
no longer intended for use, but not actually removing it for some
time into the future (perhaps at MapServer 6.0).

On the other hand, this might be a good time to remove some cruft
that we deprecated at 4.0.

I'm not a genius programmer, and I'm not particularly skilled at
web applications.  But there is one thing that I know.  Interface
churn costs user-base, and a stable API shows love for the user-base.