MS-RFC-27: Label Priority

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Tue May 22 15:46:44 EDT 2007

Daniel Morissette wrote:
> I have created RFC-27 that defines a simple mechanism to handle label
> prioritization in MapServer:
>   http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/development/rfc/ms-rfc-27
>
> Let's take a day or two for comments and then I'll propose that we vote
> to adopt this RFC.

Daniel,

Can you comment on why you use a multiple cache approach instead of doing
a quicksort on a single cache based on the priority value?  A quicksort
is order n-log-n which should be a very modest performance impact.

Also, is the priority something that can come from an attribute?  I think
i'm asking if there is a corresponding PRIORITYITEM though I'm not sure.

Lastly, should the RFC touch on the corresponding mapscript changes?