MapGuide fork of AGG

Paul Ramsey pramsey at REFRACTIONS.NET
Thu Oct 25 19:38:19 EDT 2007

Dave,

PostgreSQL-with-PostGIS is a derived product, and if you distributed
such a thing in binary form you'd have to also distribute the source
of both, entirely under the GPL.

Some folks (EnterpriseDB) get around this by distributing them
separately, and since PostGIS is run-time loadable, this works fine.
EDB is proprietary, PostGIS is a GPL extension loaded separately and
(here's the key word) optionally.

Nothing above the database layer falls under the aegis of the GPL.
MySQL would love if it did, but it doesn't.  MySQL ended up
relicensing their client libraries as GPL, specifically in order to
bring more suckers (er, clients) into their commercial re-licensing web.

P.