agg changes again...

Tue Sep 4 10:45:12 EDT 2007

Daniel Morissette wrote:
> thomas bonfort wrote:
>>
>> I see two paths from this:
>> 1/ I commit this for 5.0. we get a bit faster rendering especialy for
>> maps with lots of layers, but this warrants at least another beta
>>
>> 2/ we wait with the current solution and incorporate these changes in 5.2
>>

> I understand the performance concerns and am very happy to see that
> Thomas is working on those issues, but I think it's too late for this
> kind of changes in 5.0 if we want tomorrow's RC to be the right one. If
> we don't put an end to the changes we'll still be making more betas and
> RCs in December.
>
> So my release manager vote goes to #2: make those changes in 5.2 only.
>
> Daniel

As much as I would LOVE to see this sooner rather that later, I
reluctantly must concur with Daniel on this. So my vote is #2.

We already know that we have a bunch of major changes that we might do
for 5.2 that include the tags for the cartoline stuff, so having the
performance pluses is a good incentive for people to move forward to it.

Thomas, keep up the outstanding work on the rendering. Call on me if you
  have any specific testing needs and I will try to help.

-Steve W