Mapserver trunk broken

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Tue Sep 11 17:20:39 EDT 2007

Daniel Morissette wrote:
> Normand Savard wrote:
>>
>> maplexer.o
>> maplexer.l:46: error: syntax error before '<<' token
>> maplexer.l: In function `msyylex':
>> maplexer.l:111: error: syntax error before '<<' token
>
> This is an annoying side-effect of the current build setup and of the
> fact that we store the generated maplexer.* and mapparser.* files in
> SVN. You'll get this once in a while because a previous build has
> regenerated maplexer.c and mapparser.c locally, and then a svn update
> tries to merge changes from the repository and you end up with a conflict.
>
> The fix is to remove maplexer.c, mapparser.c and mapparser.h, svn
> update, and restart your build.

Folks,

It is my humble opinion that we should remove this rule from the Makefile:

maplexer.c: maplexer.l
	$(LEX) --nounistd -Pmsyy -i -omaplexer.c maplexer.l

And instead just make a virtual target.  Something like:

lexer:
	$(LEX) --nounistd -Pmsyy -i -omaplexer.c maplexer.l

This will mean those changing the lexer need to actually manually do
"make lexer" but it avoids the problem we are seeing.  In particular I
hate the current situation which can easily bugger up my automated builds.