Motion to Release 5.0 (was Re: No IRC meeting tomorrow)

Thu Sep 13 11:39:59 EDT 2007

Frank Warmerdam wrote:

> I don't think it will be helpful to task VisCom, though you might be
> able to get some feedback.  There is however a viscom press release
> methodology that we can follow at:
>
>   http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Press_Release_Process
>
> I found it helpful when I issued the BigTIFF press release a couple months
> ago.  As an official OSGeo release we can also do this under OSGeo's name
> and using all of Michael's press release accounts.

It would be cool to have a press release at the same time or in the days
that follow the official release, but I don't have time to undertake
that now. If anyone wants to take this on, then FYI my official release
announcement on Monday will consist mostly of the "highlight of
features/enhancements" that I had included in the beta1 announcement,
plus a few notes about this being the AGG release, where to get the
files, etc.

You can still find the beta1 announcement here if:
http://lists.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0707&L=mapserver-users&D=0&P=34909

BTW, should this be added to the list of tasks that the release manager
should include in the release planning?

Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/