mapserver-5.0.0-rc2 scale issues

Mon Sep 17 09:49:15 EDT 2007

Howard Butler wrote:
> On Sep 15, 2007, at 4:36 PM, Stephen Woodbridge wrote:
>>  I think these need to get resolved before release.
>
> I think it is too late, and this issue should wait until 5.0.1.  We have
> been in release mode for two months, and we've had six betas and two
> release candidates.  MapServer 5.0 is not going to be perfect, nor do we
> expect it will be.  Another complication is many folks are now in
> conference prep mode, and delaying to investigate this and fix it would
> delay the release until well after the conference.
>
> MapServer 5.0 is a *major* release, and it will have some growing pains,
> just like 4.0 did.  There will likely be a number of point releases
> along the way as stuff settles down.  Even though we have had the betas
> and release candidates, our testing pool is quite limited, especially
> for software like MapServer that so many people use in so many ways.
> Once 5.0 is released, the real testing will begin :)

I agree with Howard. I see that Thomas has already committed a trivial
fix for the truetype symbol issue, and the scale issue can wait for
5.0.1. It's not as if rendering was plain broken so I plan to release as
planned today. I'd recommend that you file a ticket with a testcase
about the scale issue so that someone can look into it ASAP. I will
include a ref to the ticket describing the known issue in the release
announcement if you file it in time.

If we find that this issue is more serious than we thought then 5.0.1
can be released fairly quickly with the fix.

Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/