[mapserver-dev] OpenGL Contribution

thomas bonfort thomas.bonfort at gmail.com
Sun Dec 14 14:44:29 EST 2008

hi,
I think this is a very interesting subject, at the minimum from an
implementation point of view. I second Paul's concerns and am eager to
read your response on his questions.

We had a discussion a few months ago on tilted output for
navigation-like image output. An opengl implementation might be simple
way of achieving this, by pushing a projective-matrix in the pipeline.

What level of compatibility are you expecting to obtain with respect
to the current mapfile symbology? notably for raster support and
truetype font handling? To put this in other words, do you plan to
implement a fully functional renderer that can be fully switched to
from the GD et al. ones, or only a subset to accelerate line and
polygon drawings.

As for the svn stuff, I'm planning on creating a branch in the coming
weeks to support "pluggable" renderers, which I hope will cut off much
of the code duplication that lies in our renderer implementations. It
might be a good idea to work on this common branch rather than you
having to duplicate this stuff once more.

regards,
thomas