[mapserver-dev] Point layers with Oracle driver

David Fuhry dfuhry at acm.org
Tue Feb 12 15:40:30 EST 2008

Daniel,

Point ordinates wouldn't ever be in SDO_ELEM_INFO; it only stores
metadata for how to interpret SDO_ORDINATES.

I'm not sure what MapServer does, but Oracle MapViewer will render a
point if the ordinates are stored in either the SDO_POINT or the
SDO_ORDINATES substructure of SDO_GEOMETRY.

Notably, 10g+ has a feature known as "oriented points", in which
SDO_POINT is null, and the (x,y[,z]) point ordinates are stored in
SDO_ORDINATES, and are followed by values (still in SDO_ORDINATES) which
describe an angle, for obvious use in labeling.

The correct behavior would be for MapServer to render the point at the
location stored in SDO_ORDINATES iff the SDO_POINT is null.

Thanks,

Dave