[mapserver-dev] Is there a size limit on ImageMaps, and if so can I increase it?

Bob Bruce Bob.Bruce at pobox.com
Sun Feb 24 22:59:54 EST 2008

My apologies in advance if this is not the right mailing list to post this
question on.

I have been working for some time now on the migration of the  HYPERLINK
"http://www.TheMuralsOfWinnipeg.com"www.TheMuralsOfWinnipeg.com website to
another hosting service. A key component of this site is its Mapping
Interface which uses PHP MapScript to compose highly interactive maps using
the imagemap generation function of MapServer.

I have managed to get MapScript built and working on my home Linux server
and have set the website up there. And the mapping interface is working fine
for areas that have smaller imagemaps, an example of this is the Glenwood
neighbourhood map of Winnipeg, you can view it here:
HYPERLINK
"http://www.mappinggeek.ca/Mpages/indexMuralsMap.php?action=gotoneighbourhoo
d&neighbourhoodid=38"http://www.mappinggeek.ca/Mpages/indexMuralsMap.php?act
ion=gotoneighbourhood&neighbourhoodid=38
this map shows the imagemap with mouseover and onclick actions working fine
when you move to the little red boxes which are outdoor mural locations.

however when I try to use it on an area that will have a large imagemap, I
am finding that the imagemap is empty, an example of this is the South
Portage neighbourhood of Winnipeg, you can view it here:
HYPERLINK
"http://www.mappinggeek.ca/Mpages/indexMuralsMap.php?action=gotoneighbourhoo
d&neighbourhoodid=80"http://www.mappinggeek.ca/Mpages/indexMuralsMap.php?act
ion=gotoneighbourhood&neighbourhoodid=80
in this case there is no imagemap produced to allow mousing actions for the
little red boxes.

I am somewhat familiar with the code in the mapimagemap.c module since I
have made changes to the code to allow the indices of the murals to be
passed to the imagemap production functions but after looking through the
code I cannot find where imagemap production is shut down because the map is
too big.

Help in overcoming this roadblock would be much appreciated.

thanks,
            Bob Bruce

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
12:19 PM