[mapserver-dev] Vehicle tracking

Brent Fraser bfraser at geoanalytic.com
Mon Oct 6 13:53:57 EDT 2008

Gil Matityahu wrote:
> Thanks for your reply. Would I use all PostGIS, pgRouting, Mapserver,
> and OpenLayers combined? Are there tutorials on getting started?

Yes, use all of them:
	PostGIS (plus postgresql) for data storage
	pgRouting for routing ("directions")
	MapServer for extracting data from PostGIS and creating nice map graphic
	OpenLayers for client-side GUI for pan/zoom, layers on/off, etc

and you'll need to code/script a program to load your realtime vehicle positions into PostGIS.  I don't know of an open source application to do this (but you could have a look at http://www.opendmtp.org)

And there are alternatives to all of the above (e.g http://www.opengts.org/).

I don't know of any tutorials (check the home pages of the above s/w?), but I'm sure a good Google search would supply lots of information.