[mapserver-dev] FW: MapServer enhancements/refactoring project

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Wed Apr 1 16:50:49 EDT 2009

Kralidis,Tom [Ontario] wrote:

> Why can't we do this with libxml2 and libxslt in C?

[...]
> Why can't we do WFS-T in C?

We could possibly do some stuff libxml2 and libxslt in C, but at the
cost of performance. As we all know, libxml2 is bloated and slow on
large documents, that's why we've been using printf's to generate XML in
MapServer so far. This is also the #1 complaint of architecture purists.
OTOH, Java has very efficient XML streaming libraries that would save us
lots of trouble.

> I think this would call for a complete analysis of cost/return on
> investment on a change like this.  And what the problems are (in detail)
> that are driving this proposal.

Unfortunately time plays against us and we can't spend months doing
analysis and evaluating our options. As I wrote in my initial email, one
of the requirements is to be done by March 31st 2010 (i.e. only one year
from now) since the client is planning to launch their new service on
April 1st, 2010. Lots of work to do and very little time.

Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/