[mapserver-dev] pdf output development?

Jan Hartmann j.l.h.hartmann at uva.nl
Wed Jan 7 08:14:08 EST 2009

I am wondering if MapServer support for the "Canvas" tag could do what
Steve suggests in a more simple way. Originally, only Safari, Opera and
Firefox supported this tag to allow (simple) 2D drawing, but recently a
surprisingly simple Javascript interface for IE has become available,
translating Canvas command to native IE VRML commands. It requires just
one single scrip tag in the web page.

See the tutorial at the Mozilla site at:
https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Canvas_tutorial
and the IE interface (from the Google stables) at:
http://excanvas.sourceforge.net/

This is something I have long been looking for. The graphics are very
simple, so the functionality is nothing like PDF or SVG, but I could
imagine that a driver for MapServer could fulfill many needs. I can use
it already by letting Mapserver generate raw coordinates and catching
them with some sort of Ajax, but a separate driver would be very neat of
course.

How about it?

Jan