[mapserver-dev] Motion: managing UMN MapServer handbook files(german language) in the mapserver-svn

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Jan 12 18:00:51 EST 2009

Steve Lime wrote:
> I wish we could segment out write access for documentation/website from
> source code. I don't
> think that's possible though. At any rate, we have a bit of processes
> to work through:

Steve,

As it happens we do have the capability of creating a distinct
commiter list and assigning it permissions for only a section of the
repository.  The mechanism is described under "Authz Rules" in:

   http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Subversion

I would be supportive of an auxiliary "mapserver-docs" committer list
which some designated person(s) (perhaps Howard, Jeff and Steve) are allowed
to add people to as they wish.  The only thing I would ask is that we stick to
the same rule as we have for regular commiters with regard to their declaring
they will adhere to the guidelines on contributions (copyright, license, etc).

But I think it is desirable to reduce the barrier for documentation
contributors, and to skip the voting aspect.

If Jeff and Howard are ammendable to this approach, I'd suggest a small RFC
be written on how to handle documentation contributors.