Antwort: [mapserver-dev] PDF support wrap up...

umn-ms at hydrotec.de umn-ms at hydrotec.de
Wed Jan 21 02:26:33 EST 2009

> ... I'd like to hear more about opportunities to integrate
MapServer-based
> PDF output into more complex layouts. Ultimately that's what people
> want to do. How are folks doing that?

In some apps we create PDF with Java, XSLT an Apache/FOP.
* Spatial and non-spatial Data in relational Database
* Mapserver: Creates PNG-Map from Database
* Java: Create XML from Database
* XSLT: Create XSL-FO from XML (links to PNG)
* Apache-FOP: Create PDF from XML  (embedd PNG)

Experience:
+ Can tweak layout
+ Map with true scale
+ Can show additional Database Data in PDF around the map
+ Standardized techniques
- Apache FOP may run out of memory

I can hardly imagine, that a mapserver-only-solution could create
a customized quality-map.

Benedikt Rothe

             Database
             /       \