[mapserver-dev] Zipping templated output...

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Wed Jan 21 10:34:38 EST 2009

On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 09:56:16PM -0600, Steve Lime wrote:
> Anyone have any ideas on how to run templated output (I'm thinking KML for starters) though
> a compression step to create kmz? It would seem that with CGI it would have to be done in
> the MapServer code, perhaps triggered by a format option.

KML->KMZ is a really bad place to start, because KML is unusual: instead
of a compressed stream, it's a zipfile with a specifically named file
inside of it (contrary to how most compression on the web works). Using
mod_deflate on Apache works well for most template content from
MapServer, but KMZ is a whole different ball of wax.

Regards,
--
Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta