[mapserver-dev] layer->vtable->GetFeatureIDColumn

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Mon Jan 26 17:52:03 EST 2009

I think a new method would be the best way to go, definitely better than
interacting with the metadata. We should keep in mind that in some cases
the unique id is not an attribute column ("item" in MapServer lingo) but
the shape index itself, so we'd need to use a special item name for that.

Daniel

Howard Butler wrote:
> All,
>
> Bart was asking in a bug [1] if the SDE driver could automatically set
> the ows_featureid METADATA record because it is already known by the
> driver.  After thinking about it a bit, I wonder if we shouldn't add
> another virtual method to the layer to attempt to query the column name
> from the driver.  I know that SDE, OGR (depending on the driver),
> Oracle, and maybe some cases of PostGIS should be able to support
> describing which column name represents the FID.  I also don't know how
> it would play with respect to us doing work on the upcoming single-pass
> querying stuff, but I thought I should ask to see if there is general
> support for such an idea.
>
> - If there's support, does this change warrant an RFC?
> - I think this would make a nice Toronto sprint item, and I would
> implement it there for the post-5.4 release.
>
> Howard
>
> [1] http://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/ticket/2859

Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/