[Fwd: Re: [mapserver-dev] Canvas support for MapServer]

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Tue Jan 27 12:36:56 EST 2009

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 05:25:50PM +0100, Jan Hartmann wrote:
> Another option would be to use GeoJSON. Is MapServer able to output
>
> GeoJSON, or is it going to be? I guess it would be much easier to write
> a conversion program from GeoJSON to Canvas than from SVG, and I am sure
> it would be much more efficient.

Note that OpenLayers can read GeoJSON, and many other formats, and will
write out appropriate vectors for the browser you're in -- VML for IE,
SVG for most browsers, Canvas as a fallback or if you specify that you
prefer it. In addition, you get support for feature selection,
serialization, etc.

I'm really lost on the use case for canvas. Can someone explain to me
what the point of this proposed enhancement is?

Regards,
--
Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta