[mapserver-dev] Beginning Mapserver & sql server 2008

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Thu Jul 2 09:38:26 EDT 2009

Wesley wrote:
> Hi Brent,
>
> I've done this and my conclusions are:
>  . I can't use the geography type with mapserver. When I use this
> geometric type, i got an error:
>    [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Operand type clash:
> sys.geometry is    incompatible with sys.geography.
>
>  . When i use the geometry type, if I put the srid= 4326, the map
> doesn't show. Even when I put the project section on the map file.
>
> . When i use the geometry type, without the srid (srid=0) it works.
>
> Maybe there is a limitation in the code. For just to show the sql
> server geometry on a map is fine, but I'll do some more test with it.
>
> Thanks a lot for your help!

Whenever I test the sql server 2008 plugin with MS4W I follow this
tutorial for loading data into sql2008:
http://www.bostongis.com/PrinterFriendly.aspx?content_name=sql2008_tut01

It mentions to load the data as 'geometry (planar)', and explains why.
I do this and I have no troubles using EPSG codes in my mapfiles (see
below).

LAYER
   NAME "mssql2008"
   TYPE POINT
   CONNECTIONTYPE PLUGIN
   PLUGIN "E:/ms4w/Apache/specialplugins/msplugin_mssql2008.dll"
   CONNECTION
"server=XPVM\Spatial;uid=jeff;pwd=marvin;database=gmap;Integrated
Security=false"
   DATA "geom from popplace USING srid=4326"
   STATUS ON
   CLASS
      NAME "popplace"
      STYLE