[mapserver-dev] SVG symbol support-MapServer

kiran varma kiran.varma2k7 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 04:04:07 EDT 2009

Hi all,

 Here is a small summary of some of the options i have evaluated for my
project,* SVG support for MapServer ,i request comments and suggestions on
this topic!

Well,I have evaluated various options to handle SVG symbols some of them are
as follows..

--1. One thing is use a higher level SVG parser, that transforms the input
SVG into
MapServer primitives. we should have to extend
MapServer's rendering API to support more than lines, polygons and
ellipses as it is now. (cubic, quadratic beziers, gradients,postgis curves
 probably some more distorted figures).Implement a SVG subset that maps to
the existing MapServer rendering API..This feature not only solves the
present issue but also opens up support for some more!.Do a simple additions
to both Rendering API and also SVG parser

*libsvg-cairo will help us to explore without adding in too many
dependencies.

--2. One approach might be to augment cairo to produce SVG output and then
use cairo directly. I've been hoping to sit down and make an SVG
backend for cairo at some point.But, there's still a need for a more
complete SVG rendering library
that can target cairo. If we need to pick up libsvg development
and run with it, that would be great.

--3. This was a suggestion from a Developer >> use an out-of-the-box svg to
pixmap rasterizer, and create scaled
and rotated pixmaps at a higher level before passing them over to
mapserver's low level renderers. We would have to leverage a pixmap
cache to do this, so as not to repeat the SVG parsing and rasterizing
steps. A pixmap would be put in cache for each (scale,rotation)
couple, or maybe only for each scale and rotate the created pixmap.

*I plan for option 1 as a good approach ,though it is a huge process!!The
last one was suggested by the Dev as a much easier approach to complete the
project .what do u say?

Any problems or errors in the approach please comment i will make sure
everything goes right on time.:)

thanks for your support
Kiran