[mapserver-dev] SVG symbol support-MapServer

Thomas Bonfort thomas.bonfort at camptocamp.com
Tue Jul 7 14:44:20 EDT 2009

On Tue, Jul7, 2009 at 20:39, Daniel Morissette<dmorissette at mapgears.com> wrote:
> Paul Spencer wrote:
>>
>> this is probably way too late but did anyone look at the svg support in
>> agg?  It says it supports only the minimum required but the previews make it
>> look like it supports quite a bit?
>>
>> http://www.antigrain.com/svg/index.html
>>

> Steve Lime wrote:
>>
>> Will be there... What about rolling our own using AGG? There apparently is
>> a relatively basic implementation
>> of a SVG viewer in AGG out there. Depends on how much of the SVG spec
>> would have to be supported to
>> create symbols I guess.
>

> Thanks guys! Sounds like we have another viable option to explore.

yes, seems like a viable option although it won't support the full svg
spec. The advantage is that now that we've forked the agg code into
mapserver this will mean no new dependency.

maybe the next step is to explore the limitations of the agg/svg
parser, see what is or is not supported, and decide if we can live
with that.

regards,
thomas