[mapserver-dev] Technical manual (development manual, tutorial)?

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Mon Jul 13 22:59:54 EDT 2009

Gustav Allen wrote:
> Hello community
>

> I have experience installing and using MapServer on Windows and Linux
> plataform. But now I'm interested in contributing as a developer
> MapServer. I am interested to know: if you have technical manual
> (development manual, tutorial or whatever)   or   how do you develop?. I
> read the info in the website mapserver.org <http://mapserver.org>
> (development section), but it is insufficient =(
>
> Until now, I know that I need GDB + frontend (ex.
> Emacs,KDbg,DDD,Nemiver) for debugging mapserv executable on Linux.. I
> tried to debug it,but  I couldn't ( note: I have installed all the
> required libraries )..
>
> Always GDB detects " parsing errors in my mapfile".. But I think it is
> impossible because my mapfiles are fine.. My web applications work with
> the mapfiles. The same situation occurs with test files :
> /mapserver-5.4.1/tests/test.map ...
>
> Really is very frustrating. please...somebody can tell me some steps to
> develop on mapserver.... because I haven't found clear info

Gustav,

A few ideas to get you started:

1) if you plan to debug mapserv make sure you ./configure --with-debug
2) you might start debuging using shp2img
    a) start by getting shp2img to run with some command line options
    b) gdb shp2img
       break main
       run <commandline options>
3) to debug mapserv you can use
    a) gdb mapserv
       break main
       run QUERY_STRING='url-params-after?'

Try some of these and see if you get any further.

-Steve W