[mapserver-dev] Vote for MapServer 5.4.2 release (and also 5.2.3 and 4.10.5?)

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Tue Jul 21 22:55:01 EDT 2009

This is a common problem with all linux distros.
They release some version of your software and it lives with that level
will that version of the distro reaches end-of-life. Often you can find
new version that have been backported to your version of the distro.

Typically the package maintainers get patches from upstream developers
and port them back to the distro versions.

What I would recommend it helping the package maintainer by providing a
patch, but I would be reluctant to do a full release. We might want to
make a patch directory in svn where we can check in these patches and
make them available to people that want to put the effort in to patch
their version of the source and do the testing.

I suppose one could argue, that with we are going to all that work, why
not just release it. I think at this point, there is a LOT of benefit to
moving to 5.4 so people will when they can, but if you have a huge
production environment with lots of tangled dependencies, it is not
always possible to just up your source tree, especially if they have
things like mapscript that might break or at a minimum would require
extensive retesting.

Anyway, thats my 2 cents.
   -Steve W