[mapserver-dev] Patches to bring Mapscript/Tcl back to life

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Tue Mar 3 08:42:59 EST 2009

I think it would be great to have a Tcl maintainer (if that's what Karl
is offering), but I also think it's too early to talk about SVN commit
access. We should follow the same process that we've followed for other
committers: i.e. start by submitting patches through tickets for a
little while, and once he has submitted a number of quality patches that
demonstrate his understanding of the code and that he is going to stick
around for a while then we can talk about SVN commit access. Nothing
special against Karl, just a reminder of the rules that we've agreed to
in RFC 7:

"""
The new committer should have demonstrated commitment to MapServer and
knowledge of the MapServer source code and processes to the committee’s
satisfaction, usually by reporting tickets, submitting patches, and/or
actively participating in the various MapServer forums.

The new committer should also be prepared to support any new feature or
changes that he/she commits to the MapServer source tree in future
releases, or to find someone to which to delegate responsibility for
them if he/she stops being available to support the portions of code
that he/she is responsible for.
"""

Daniel

Steve Lime wrote:
> Ditto on a maintainer although I'm not sure if that's what Karl is offering. ;-) I would say let's get this first set of patches in place and then pursue commit access. I'm inclined to add these before Wed.'s beta. Since MapScript/TCL is busted there's little harm.
>
> If someone would like to work with Karl immediately great (raise your hand), I can do it as well.
>
> Steve

> I'm +1 to have a TCL maintainer.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Tamas
>
> 2009/3/1 Karl Lehenbauer <karllehenbauer at gmail.com>
>
>> Hi Mapscript Developers,
>>
>> Mapscript's Tcl support is dated and kind of broken.  I've got some patches
>> that bring it current.  They're in heavy production and ideally they ought
>> to get folded back into Mapserver. IMO.
>>
>> I request commiter access for mapscript/tcl only.  I've joined the dev
>> mailing list and read through RFC 7.1.  If it's too early, though, I request
>> someone agree to work with me to get these patches committed.
>>
>> Please let me know.  Thanks.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Karl Lehenbauer / FlightAware

Daniel Morissette