[mapserver-dev] code formatting and astyle

Kralidis,Tom [Ontario] Tom.Kralidis at ec.gc.ca
Thu Mar 12 23:42:22 EDT 2009

>>Steve Lime wrote:
>> I'd be ok with this. It's pretty interesting stomping around in places where a number
>> of developers have contributed code. Personally I'm a fan of K&R formatting with a
>> two-space indent, no padding around parens, and allowing one-liners.
>>
>> Steve

>>> devs: inspired by pramsey's post on geos-devel [1], I wonder what dev's
>>> think about running the MapServer codebase through an agreed upon
>>> convention via astyle [2], and sticking to it for future development.
>>>
>>> Thoughts?
>
>Folks,
>
>I'm personally mildly against doing this.  I prefer to use "my own style"
>in code I primarily maintain within MapServer and I try to fit with other code
>when modifying other areas.  I think that strict coding conventions is a
>modest disincentive to casual contributions.
>
>Of course if it is the will of the majority I will cooperate.

I can appreciate your point of view.  Keep in mind that casual contributions can be still be put forth as present, and can be run through a tool like astyle.

I think having coding conventions will make the codebase easier to maintain.

I've posted a wiki page with notes/ideas at http://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/wiki/CodingStyle

..Tom