[mapserver-dev] Sandbox Priv.s

Howard Butler hobu.inc at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 11:10:47 EDT 2009

On Mar 13, 2009, at 9:20 AM, Daniel Morissette wrote:
> Any member of the MapServer community can request mapserver_sandbox
> group access to the trunk sandbox, provided that the person
> requesting the sandbox explain on the -dev list what they plan to
> use it for and that no objections are expressed by PSC members
> within 2 business days.

I disagree with the idea of 2 business days.  I think delaying someone
sandbox access can have a dampening effect on enthusiasm, momentum,
and willingness to share, which the sandbox access is hopefully there
to help capture.  Granting sandbox access to *all* OSGeo userid's
would be fine with me.

It seems you want a bit of a check on unfettered access though.  Maybe
the rule for getting sandbox access could be that you convince a
committer there's a good reason for you to develop one.  IIRC, the
committers all list their "areas" in the docs somewhere (if we don't
do this, we should).  A potential sandboxer should look at that list
and shoot an email to someone who's doing related things (someone
monkeying with renderers, or someone fixing the SDE bugs that I
ignore :) ).  Ask them "hey, I want sandbox access to do X, Y, and
Z".  Committer agrees and grants them access by pointing and clicking
a few things.

> Any regular mapserver committer moving code from a sandbox to trunk
> assumes responsibility for ensuring it is appropriate from a
> copyright point of view and that all other requirements of the
> committer guidelines are met.

Absolutely.