[mapserver-dev] documentation localization and svn structure

Lars Lingner ml at lingner.eu
Mon May 11 15:05:11 EDT 2009

Jeff McKenna schrieb:
[...]
> Great work Lars, I like the directory structure that you have proposed.
>  I am confused though about what happens to the "EN/DE" text when a file
> is only in English - are those links removed?  (i missed that part of
> your explanation/examples)

Every language directory is processed and the html/latex/etc files are
generated independent. As long as the filenames match in each language
directory, everything is perfect.  :)

The "language Menu" just switches the language part of the url, so that
mapserver.org/docs/en/input/vector/gml.html switches to
mapserver.org/docs/de/input/vector/gml.html

There is no guarantee that this file (gml.html) is present in the
subtree of DE, so it might end in an 404. The same applies to every
direction.

An solution would be to setup an error page ("...sorry translation not
available...") with an link back to the last viewed page.
That would also open the possibility to log such errors to complete
translations afterwards.

Or an shell script gets run before each sphinx-build command, to filter
out differences between all languages. This would get more complicated
with every added translation.

So there is no synchronization between the languages.

Lars