[mapserver-dev] RE: [mapserver-users] colorramp and datarange on the fly?

Lime, Steve D (DNR) Steve.Lime at state.mn.us
Wed Feb 3 11:02:45 EST 2010

How big a change would depend on the implementation. The brute force approach where you simply loop through features once to compute ranges and then again to draw would be probably pretty straight forward and driver independent. Wouldn't be fast (but would be simple). Complexity would be added as you try and boost performance by:

  - allowing drivers to compute stats in their own way (e.g. add to the layer API something like msLayerGetStats(...))
  - caching geometries from a first pass through the shapes for the second

Steve

BTW The color ramp support needs to be cleaned up first. I think we scared the originator of that code away when an RFC was originally put together.