[mapserver-dev] Built-in/default symbols in MapServer...

Lime, Steve D (DNR) Steve.Lime at state.mn.us
Mon Jan 11 00:16:36 EST 2010

Hi all: What would devs think about adding a reasonable set of default symbols to MapServer? They'd just be there to reference by name. It's a
relatively simple change. Just define a static array of symbol defs (e.g. "SYMBOL NAME \"__ms_circle__\" ...) and define a msUpdateSymbolFromString()
function similar to the ones used already in mapfile.c. (this is probably a good idea anyway for use in mapscript). The string parsing makes it easy to
define the defaults. I've got it working locally and it's a nice convenience. Hardest part would be defining which are good defaults and what a good
naming convention would be. If there's interest I can write up a quick RFC...