[mapserver-dev] GeoServer superseeding MapServer in Europe?

Bart van den Eijnden bartvde at osgis.nl
Wed Jul 7 14:07:29 EDT 2010

Hi Daniel,

I think there are a few reasons:

1) Java fits in better with existing IT infrastructures
2) Geoserver's strong and ongoing support for WFS, especially the application schemas, which are needed for INSPIRE
3) The admin tool

I think you can probably also read some of the reasons of why the Dutch government chose Geoserver, around page 46 in the following document (it also contains a section on Mapserver):

http://www.geonovum.nl/sites/default/files/algemeen/MOT20100618TechnicalDesignv1.0.pdf

Best regards,
Bart