[mapserver-dev] GeoServer superseeding MapServer in Europe?

Jan Hartmann j.l.h.hartmann at uva.nl
Thu Jul 8 04:48:53 EDT 2010

On 07/07/10 21:29, Paul Ramsey wrote:
> http://s3.cleverelephant.ca/geoweb-mapserver.pdf

Also very much worth looking at is Paul's Key Note talk at OsGeo 2009,
about the place of open Source software in the general programming world

http://2009.foss4g.org/speakers/#Paul_Ramsey

It is about conceptual systems, developed in open Source software
outside the market, and dedicated services, developed for mony for
specific people and purposes. I'm afraid governmental proposals like
Bart's Dutch one, ore Inspire, for that matter,  are somewhere in the
middle: not good enough (by far) to give direction to the people who can
really design large structured programs, and not specific enough (or too
chaotic in its details) to be of service to the people who have to
implement the actual services. The main thing about good programs is
structure and extendability, and that is not something that can be
achieved by government committees of non-programmers.

And then, Paul's talk is fun to look at and full of positive energy.
"C'est le ton qui fait la musique".  (as a Canadian, you do understand
French, Paul, don't you? I saw that you put some French at the beginning
of the version of that talk at Daniel's  Rendezvous OSGeo at Quebec last
month:

http://blog.cleverelephant.ca/2010/06/nerds-redux.html

At least I guess it's French. Not the way they pronounce it over here in
Europe :-)

Jan