[mapserver-dev] Re: GeoServer superseeding MapServer in Europe?

Umberto Nicoletti umberto.nicoletti at gmail.com
Fri Jul 9 04:53:43 EDT 2010

On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 11:02 PM, AxuMagic3496 <magic3496 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am also a new user of MapServer. My experience with configuration of a Map
> File started when I wanted to produce images for animation from GIS data (I
> was introduced to fwtools by a colleague). At that time, I had a hard time
> getting any information on how to compile it on Windows. The solution, I
> found a windows compilation on the web, I was able to do what I needed.
>

> Then I started to look into using MapServer. I tried to compile MapServer on
> Solaris (our web server), I found out that it is not easy. No documentation
> exists, perhaps no one has done it before. I also found out that it requires
> too many dependencies, and they are all over the place. I attempted to
> compile and gave-up. At last I used the FGS MapServer implementation on
> Ubuntu using a temporary server. My site is working but I can not update it
> with additional libraries that I would like to use.

Ubuntu (both server and client) has a gis repository
(https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuGIS) that provides up-to-date versions
of all needed components. After the dependencies have been installed
building mapserver is mostly a configure && make && make install
affair.

I can install a full mapserver/java mapscript stack in less than 2 hours now!

Best regards,
Umberto