[mapserver-dev] MapServer legend functionality

Yewondwossen Assefa yassefa at dmsolutions.ca
Fri Jun 11 12:09:56 EDT 2010

On 11/06/2010 11:54 AM, Lime, Steve D (DNR) wrote:
> I think it would be a reasonable addition. Are you thinking about simply adding a visibility flag to a layer and flipping it
> if features are rendered? Often legend rendering is done separately from drawing, as two separate requests. Presumably you'd
> need a something like a fake draw map option in the legend code to make a drawing-like pass through the data. Could get expensive.

  Yes,  it could be an expensive operation to do a fake draw to get the
legend. I am wondering if we could save something when a draw is done
and retrieve it for the legend if it validates the current
layers/extent  constraint.  Draw and legend are separate process but
come usually one after the other so trying to take into account that
fact might help.

regards

> Steve

Assefa Yewondwossen