[mapserver-dev] MapServer legend functionality

Bob Basques Bob.Basques at ci.stpaul.mn.us
Mon Jun 14 12:12:48 EDT 2010

Brent,

Ok, this is sort of way out there, I read your Legend Mail (MSG10603) and wondered about . . .

What if you use MapServer with a template, to build a Mapfile on the fly from the database query, then pass that in to MapServer for legend rendering?  Seems like the long way round, but might prove an interesting experiment to work out a permanent solution.

Also, wasn't there work recently related to passing in a Mapfile via CGI?  Maybe there is a possibilty of piping these operations together somehow, just thinking out loud here.

bobb

Yewondwossen Assefa wrote:
> On 11/06/2010 11:54 AM, Lime, Steve D (DNR) wrote:
>> I think it would be a reasonable addition. Are you thinking about
>> simply adding a visibility flag to a layer and flipping it
>> if features are rendered? Often legend rendering is done separately
>> from drawing, as two separate requests. Presumably you'd
>> need a something like a fake draw map option in the legend code to
>> make a drawing-like pass through the data. Could get expensive.
>>

>  Yes,  it could be an expensive operation to do a fake draw to get the
> legend. I am wondering if we could save something when a draw is done
> and retrieve it for the legend if it validates the current
> layers/extent  constraint.  Draw and legend are separate process but
> come usually one after the other so trying to take into account that
> fact might help.
>
> regards

And it could solve my problem of generating a legend when using bound styling
(http://www.mail-archive.com/mapserver-users@lists.osgeo.org/msg10603.html)

Best Regards,
Brent Fraser