[mapserver-dev] The legendary story of mapObj.zoomRectangle (a cabaret show)

Tamas Szekeres szekerest at gmail.com
Wed Mar 3 15:49:54 EST 2010

Folks,

Upon upgrading my existing application to 5.6.1 I'm getting frustrated about
the changes of the rectangle check in mapObj.zoomRectangle. So let me
summarize how the related code have changed within the past 5 years.

- 2004-06-26 The stuff has been committed by sean in r3294 mapzoom.i Ln 280
if (poPixRect->maxy >= poPixRect->miny)
        {
            msSetError(MS_MISCERR, "Georeferenced coordinates miny <= maxy",
                       "mapscript::mapObj::zoomRectangle()");
            return MS_FAILURE;
        }

- 2006-05-30  First attempt to swap miny and maxy by umberto in r5472

- 2006-07-24  The change have been reverted by hobu in r5542

- 2006-12-13 Second attempt to swap miny and maxy by sdlime in r5859

- 2006-12-13 Reverted the change by sdlime in r5864

- 2009-10-12 Third attempt to swap miny and maxy by aboudreault in r9444

There have been a couple of tickets related to this issue like:

While I'm a bit lost with the reason of these reverts it seems we don't have
solid standpoint on how this consistency check should be done. I would
anticipate I'm not against this change, however I would not want to alter my
existing scipts (like now) in every release in order to have my code
working.

Could someone confirm this change won't be reverted in the future releases?

Best regards,

Tamas