[mapserver-dev] Proposing some homepage changes...

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Tue May 4 00:59:17 EDT 2010

Howard Butler wrote:
> On May 3, 2010, at 6:41 PM, Stephen Woodbridge wrote:
>
>> Lime, Steve D (DNR) wrote:
>>> Hi all: I'd like to propose some changes to the mapserver.org
>>> homepage. Wondering how feasible they'll be via Sphinx: -
>>> Breadcrumb. Really should start at "Home" and then go from there,
>>> e.g.: Home >> Documentation >> MapScript  or Home >> FAQ Home >>
>>> Develelopment >> RFCs - TOC on the homepage shouldn't be
>>> announcements but rather something like: Community Mailing Lists
>>> IRC Wiki Development    Documentation Introduction FAQ Mapfiles
>>> MapScript Downloads Issue Tracker - Announcements could continue
>>> below the fold on the main part of the homepage It's not user
>>> friendly as is. The shorter, more meaningful TOC would also help
>>> to pull the OSGEO and FOSS4G icons up the page. Thoughts?
>> +1
>>
>> I think those would be GREAT changes, I hope we can get these done.
>>

>> I would like to add one more MAJOR usability change and that is CSS
>> for printing. In FF do a Print Preview and you will see what I
>> mean. The left hand Nav stuff is turned off as it should be, but
>> the content is not repositioned to the left margin for printing.
>> This should just be some CSS changes.
>

> The PDF is not sufficient for printing?  Otherwise, do you have a
> patch for the css changes?

Maybe, but how do I get that? For example on this page:
http://mapserver.org/ogc/filter_encoding.html

Just twiddling with the CSS in firebug, you might try adding this to
basic.css at the bottom in the @media print {...} section:

/* -- printout stylesheet
--------------------------------------------------- */

@media print {
     div.document,
     div.documentwrapper,
     div.bodywrapper {
         margin: 0;
         width: 100%;
     }
     div.body {                 // add this block and see if it helps
         position: absolute;
         left: 0px;
         width: 100%;
     }