[mapserver-dev] RFC 62: Support Additional WFS GetFeature Output Formats

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Fri Oct 8 09:59:52 EDT 2010

On 10/7/2010 10:11 PM, Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I have completed a prototype implementation of support for OGR output
> in WFS, including support for RFC 36 templates as an output mechanism.
> I have also prepared a preliminary RFC for the new capabilities which
> I'd like to float for discussion before calling for a vote:
>
> http://www.mapserver.org/trunk/development/rfc/ms-rfc-62.html
>
> I'd like to finish work on the RFC and call for a vote by Monday.
>
> Best regards,

Hi Frank,

Nice write up. This will be a significant enhancement.

Regarding MULTI* support, I assume that you would have to support export
features from all data sources, like postgis. It is common for the
shp2pgsql loader to create MULTI objects by default. And while
shapefiles are seem to be mostly NOT MULTI* by default I almost always
find a random MULTI* in various files. I'm also wondering if the output
of geometry processing function using GEOS that are built into mapserver
will be able to be exported via this WFS writer? If so, then it would
need to support all geometry types possible from that, which would
include collections in addition to MULTI*.

I guess this raises these questions in my mind:
Do users need to be able to filter the output based on geometry type? Do
we need to provide MULTI* dumpers to base type?

Thanks for all your work on this.

-Steve W