[mapserver-dev] mapwmsclient.c

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Sep 30 09:33:23 EDT 2010

Daniel Morissette wrote:
> Hi Frank,
>
> This is a great addition!
>
> I noticed that the new code uses GDAL VSI* calls to open the image in
> memory, essentially adding a GDAL dependency on mapwmslayer.c which was
> not there in 5.6. I'm okay with this dependency since GDAL was already
> recommended in previous releases anyway in order to support reprojection
> of cascaded requests, so I have updated the configure script to check
> this dependency and the README.CONFIGURE to document it in r10548.

Daniel,

In fact, one of the changes in 6.0 has been the stripping out of the
non-GDAL based raster readers.  This means that WMS layers were already
depending on GDAL otherwise the rasters returned from the remote servers
would not be readable.  This made me more comfortable with the VSI
dependency in mapwmslayer.c. :-)

I made this requirement clear in the WMS Client documentation yesterday,
but I didn't think to check if it is reflected in configure or other docs.