[mapserver-dev] libtool usage

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Mon Dec 19 10:03:40 EST 2011

On 11-12-18 9:26 AM, thomas bonfort wrote:
> While trying to build mapserver as a shared library, it occured to me
> that our build-process is rather fragile. (For the curious this is
> ongoing work on making a mapserver apache module, which requires a
> clean+crossplatform way of loading the libmapserv shared library into
> the httpd server).
>
> Is there a reason we are not using libtool for managing the
> compilation tasks for us?
> I know gdal can be configured to build with or without libtool, is
> there a reason to maintain both build scripts?

Hi Thomas,

My little experience with GDAL's libtool builds over the years is that
there is some magic behind libtool that doesn't work on every platform
(or with unusual configurations), and when it doesn't work it is nearly
impossible to troubleshoot for non-libtool experts and then we end up
falling back on buildibg without libtool which just works.

I admit that I do not have a clear idea of the real issues and whether
they are fixable, but I have had to switch back to non-libtool builds of
GDAL in the past when libtool builds would not work... so I am hesitant
to support a complete switch to libtools, but then I also realize that I
should not prevent this kind of move forward without some good reasons.
If we make that switch, are you prepared to support libtool related
issues on all platforms and configurations that used to work without it?
(That's a big commitment)

Maybe Frank or others involved in the GDAL libtool build support could
share their experience?

--
Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/