[mapserver-dev] Documentation Question

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Fri Jul 22 07:51:23 EDT 2011

Hi Steve,

My position is that the doc contents should contain references to the
MapServer version that the feature applies to.  So yes we should
maintain backwards compatibility.  For example, /mapfile/expressions.txt
could be separated into "MapServer 6.0 Expressions" and "MapServer 5
Expressions" sections.  I would argue that this is much easier to
maintain, and makes more sense to a user.  It does ask doc contributors
and developers to specifically mention the MapServer version when they
are documenting though.  I'll give an example of what I mean:

Let's say I am a mapscript dev and I add a function to a mapscript.
Then I'd go to its doc (meaning: in trunk and also in
branch-whatever-is-live-on-web, because a user wants to know what is
available) and add:

GetXXX
   Added in MapServer version 6.2, this function gets the...

I hope this helps clarify my position.

-jeff