[mapserver-dev] Performance problem with oracle spatial in mapserver 6

Smith, Michael ERDC-CRREL-NH michael.smith at usace.army.mil
Wed Jun 1 17:20:38 EDT 2011

All,

I¹ve traced the performance hit in Oracle Spatial to the use of a scrollable
cursor in the main execute statement (trunk Line 2210).

Changing from

  OCIStmtExecute( hand->svchp, sthand->stmthp, hand->errhp, (ub4)ARRAY_SIZE,
(ub4)0, (OCISnapshot *)NULL, (OCISnapshot *)NULL, (ub4)
OCI_STMT_SCROLLABLE_READONLY ) )

  OCIStmtExecute( hand->svchp, sthand->stmthp, hand->errhp, (ub4)ARRAY_SIZE,
(ub4)0, (OCISnapshot *)NULL, (OCISnapshot *)NULL, (ub4)OCI_DEFAULT ) )

On a point layer with 78K points decreased time from 13.033s to 8.509s,
which is almost exactly the times I measured from rev 9295 and previous.

The next obvious question is, are there specific use cases where the
scrollable cursor needs to be used? For straight cgi drawing (wms and
mode=map), it works fine but I haven¹t investigated the various query modes,
mapscript, etc. Was there a specific reason that the cursor type was changed
to SCROLLABLE?

Mike

--
Michael Smith