[mapserver-dev] Expanding the MapServer Project

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Fri Mar 25 11:18:34 EDT 2011

Hi Jeff,

Thanks that makes it a little clearer. Some of us have multiple hats we
where and I was not aware that you also had a TinyOWS hat.

In my view of things (which might be off-base), the projects would merge
"as is" without pre-conceived changes in direction initially, but over
time (which may/may not be short) we would plan future directions based
on users requirements, funding, our desire to get some economies of
scale and to avoid redundancies, like we currently do and move forward
along those lines.

I am aware that TinyOWS only uses postgresql and I'm fine with that.
Adding additional support has to make sense for a technical point of
view. If OGR, or whatever can not support the requirements of WFS-T then
it would be silly to try an implement something that will not work or
will not work well.

Anyway, this is just my thoughts on the process, and I do not currently
where a TinyOWS hat, but I do think the product is great and have used
it in the past. I think it would be great if we could sensibly
integrated it with mapserver or if it was just a standalone server that
worked a little closer with mapserver.

Best regards,
   -Steve W